Saturday, April 18, 2009

Football in Kampala

We're settling into Kampala. We've had some meetings with Cornerstone about what's going on and how we can fit in and apply our skills to help out. One of the big things we'll be doing the next six weeks is reviewing business plans. The "business forum" are a group of conerstone graduates that are aspiring to start their own businesses and they are all competing for a chance to get a lone from a group of american businessmen. We have already started reviewing the business plans and loan proposals and doing some editing, etc. We'll be meeting with several of the entrepreneurs over the next number of weeks and asking probing questions and helping to sharpen the proposals.

Yesterday afternoon I went to a football match (that's soccer). It was KCC ( the Ugandan team) against a team from Sudan. Uganda lost 1-0. It was the hottest 3 1/2 hours of my life. I was absolutely baking in the equatorial sun and stiffling humidity. When Crystal saw me last night after the game she exclaimed, "Whoa, you're sunburned!" I figure the darker I get the more I can blend in here, unfortunatly I'm more of a reddish hue.

The match was fun to watch though...its amazing how worldwide, across all cultural boundries, men love sports. When I looked around and I was the only white guy in the entire stadium I though to myself, "You're a long way from home." I went with 3 of the employees of Cornerstone and they took great care of me, making sure I didn't get lost (as if anyone could lose me--I stuck out like a sore white thumb) or get hit by a bus on the walk into downtown to catch bodas. Neat group of people and I am so appreciative for being included.

No comments: